This Leg and Lower Back Exercise Adds Strength and Flexibility while working your Core, Glutes, and Hamstring Muscles
Welcome to our Back Extensions Exercise Instruction Guide!
On this page you’ll learn how to do this Body Weight Exercise using the correct technique. Below you’ll find pictures, exercise instructions, and tips on how to get the most out of this and other Weight Training Exercises so you can immediately add to your Leg Workouts, Back Workout, and other Weight Training Routines.
Have you checked out our list of the Best Leg Exercises yet? How about our Best Back Exercises? See if Back Extensions made either of the lists!
|Exercise Name:||Back Extensions|
|Main Muscle:||Lower Back|
|Secondary Muscle(s):||Glutes, Hamstrings|
|Equipment Required:||Body Weight Exercise, Hyperextension Apparatus|
Exercise Description and Instruction:
Back Extensions are a great weight training exercise for your glutes (gluteus maximus, gluteus medius, and gluteus minimus) and hamstring muscles as well as your lower back. The exercise is pictured here as one of our Body Weight Exercises.
Add additional resistance by holding your arms behind your head or holding a weight plate or dumbbell at your chest or behind your head.
Also see , like Flutter Kicks and Leg Lifts, which are other body weight exercises that work your glutes and hamstring muscle group.
To Perform This Exercise:
- Adjust the hyperextension bench so that your ankles are tucked under the footpads and your thighs are flat across the top pad.
- Fold your arms across your chest and allow your torso to hang off of the machine. Your back should be straight. This is the starting position.
- Slowly bend at the waist towards the floor, while keeping your back flat.
- Slowly return to the starting position by again raising your torso.
- Do not arch your back at any time during this exercise.
- Hold your hands behind your head for additional resistance if desired. You can also hold a weight plate or dumbbell across your chest or behind your head for additional resistance.
Other Popular Leg Exercises:
Check out some of our other popular Lower Body Exercises. These pages link to all of our variations of the most popular leg exercises:
- Calf Raises
- Front Squat
- Hack Squats
- Split Squats
- Step Ups
Now that you’ve seen Back Extensions, which primarily target your Lower Back, check out all of our different Lower Back Exercises.
Also view our Leg Exercises Page, which links to our Calf Exercises, Glute Exercises, Hamstring Exercises, and Quadricep Exercises.
Finally, if you found this page of interest, check out these related pages:
- Best Back Exercises and Best Leg Exercises
- Weight Training Exercises Main Page
- Fat Loss Workouts and Fat Burning Exercises
- Muscle Building Workouts and Strength Training Exercises