Barbell Front Raise
This Shoulder Exercise is a Variation of the Front Raise and uses a Barbell to Isolate your Trapezius and Deltoid Shoulder Muscles
Welcome to our Barbell Front Raise Exercise Instruction Guide!
On this page you’ll learn how to do this shoulders exercise using the correct technique. Below you’ll find pictures, exercise instructions, and tips on how to get the most out of this and other Shoulder Exercises so you can immediately add to your next Shoulder Workout Routine and other Weight Training Routines.
Have you seen our Best Shoulder Exercises page yet? See if this deltoid and trapezius exercise made the list!
|Exercise Name:||Barbell Front Raise|
|Exercise Type:||Isolation, Push|
Exercise Description and Instruction:
This shoulder exercise is a variation of the front raise movement, a standard in most shoulder workouts. During the lift, you’ll only move at the shoulder joint to isolate your deltoid and trapezius shoulder muscles.
You can also do this shoulders exercise as a Cable Exercise or a Dumbbell Exercise. Check out those following variations:
- Cable Front Raise
- Dumbbell Front Raise
To Perform This Exercise:
- Stand and grasp a barbell with an overhand (palms facing your thighs) shoulder width grip and allow the bar to rest on your thighs at arms length. This will be your starting position.
- While keeping your body stationary, exhale and lift the barbell in front of you until your arms are just above your shoulders and past parallel to the floor. During the lift, maintain only a slight bend in your elbows and keep your palms pointed down. Your wrists should firm and straight.
- Once your arms are past parallel to the floor, pause for a moment, then inhale and slowly lower the weight to the starting position.
- Repeat the movement for the desired number of repetitions.
- Keep your body stationary, not allowing your torso to swing as your lift the weight. It may help to bend your knees slightly as you perform the exercise.
- Keep your wrists straight with your palms facing down and maintain a slight bend in the elbows.
- Concentrate on only moving at the shoulder joint to complete each repetition.
Now that you’ve seen the Barbell Front Raise, which primarily targets your deltoid and trapezius muscles, check out all of our different Shoulder Exercises. Or, check out some of our most popular shoulder exercises below and other pages of interest.
Most Popular Deltoid and Trapezius Exercises:
Check out some of our other popular Shoulder Exercises and Variations:
- Iron Cross Exercise
- Dumbbell Shoulder Press
- Dumbbell Lateral Raise
- Barbell Shrugs and Dumbbell Shrug
- Barbell Upright Row and Cable Upright Row
Final Related Pages
- Best Shoulder Exercises
- Back Exercises and Best Back Exercises
- Weight Training Exercises Main Page
- Muscle Building Workouts and Strength Training Exercises
- Fat Loss Workouts and Fat Burning Exercises