Similar to the Dumbbell Pullover, this Chest Exercise works your Chest Muscles as well as your Lats, Shoulders, and Triceps
Welcome to our Barbell Pullover Exercise Instruction Guide!
On this page you’ll learn how to do this chest exercise using the correct technique. Below you’ll find pictures, exercise instructions, and tips on how to get the most out of this and other Weight Training Exercises so you can immediately add to your Weight Training Programs and next Chest Workout.
Have you seen our Best Chest Exercises list yet? See if this chest exercise made the cut!
|Exercise Name:||Barbell Pullover|
|Secondary Muscle(s):||Lats, Shoulders, Triceps|
|Exercise Type:||Isolation, Pull|
|Equipment Required:||Barbell, Flat Bench|
Exercise Description and Instruction:
The Barbell Pullover is an isolation chest exercise that works your pectoralis major (as well as your lats, shoulders, and triceps) from a different motion than bench press exercise variations, like the Dumbbell Bench Press.
Bench press exercise variations should be the bulk of your chest workouts, but pullover variations like this exercise and the Dumbbell Pullover should also be sprinkled in.
To Perform This Exercise:
- Lie on a flat bench grasping a barbell with an overhand shoulder grip width.
- Hold the bar straight over your chest with a slight bend in your arms. This will be your starting position.
- While keeping your arms bent slightly, inhale and slowly lower the weight in an arc behind your head until you feel a stretch on the chest.
- Once you feel a strech on your chest, exhale and bring the barbell back to the starting position following the same arc you lowered the weight in.
- Once you are back above your chest, hold this position briefly then repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
- Keep your back flat against the bench at all times. Your feet should also stay firmly on the ground.
- Do not go beyond a comfortable range of motion.
Other Popular Upper Body Exercises:
Check out some of our other popular Arm Exercises and Variations:
- Close Grip Bench Press
- Bent Over Row
- Dumbbell Bench Press
- Chin Ups and Pull Ups
- Triceps Extension
Now that you’ve seen the Barbell Pullover, which primarily targets your pectorals, check out all of our different Chest Exercises.
Or, check out these other pages of interest:
- Weight Training Exercises
- Chest Exercises Main Page and Best Chest Exercises List
- Muscle Building Workouts
- Fat Loss Workouts