Bulgarian Split Squat
A Great Split Squats Variation done using a Bench to further Isolate your Leg Muscles and allow a Deeper Squat
Welcome to our Bulgarian Split Squat Exercise Instruction Guide!
On this page you’ll learn how to do this squats variation using the correct technique. Below you’ll find pictures, exercise instructions, and tips on how to get the most out of this and other Leg Exercises so you can immediately add to your Leg Workouts.
Have you checked out our list of the Best Leg Exercises yet? See if this Lower Body Exercise made the list.
|Bulgarian Split Squat
|Calves, Glutes, Hamstrings, Lower Back
*This exercise is pictured using a barbell; however, the exercise can also be completed using a dumbbell, EZ Curl Bar, or holding a weight plate over your head.
Exercise Description and Instruction:
Here you’ll learn the Bulgarian Split Squat. During this leg exercise, the leg that is not being targeted is placed on top of a bench, which allows you to squat deeper with your target leg.
To Perform This Exercise:
- Lift a loaded barbell off of a weight rack with the bar across your upper back and a bench or box placed 12-18 inches tall behind you.Place one foot on the bench behind you, and your other foot firmly on the floor 2-3 feet in front you.
- Slowly lower the weight by bending forward at the knee and allowing your hips to bend back as if you are sitting down (squatting). You should descend until your knee is bent at a ninety (90) degree angle and your quadriceps and hamstrings are parallel to the floor.
- Return to the starting position by pressing upwards and exteding your leg while maintaining an equal distribution of weight on your forefoot and heel. Continue looking forward.
- Once you have returned to the starting position and are standing straight up, pause for a moment and repeat.
- Practice the weight training exercise without any weight to allow yourself to become comfortable with the movements.
- Keep your head facing forward, your back straight and your feet flat on the base throughout the exercise. You should maintain equal weight distribution on your forefoot and heel during the lift.
Other Popular Leg Exercises:
Check out some of our other popular Lower Body Exercises. These pages link to all of our variations of the most popular leg exercises:
- Calf Raises
- Hack Squats
- Step Ups
Now that you’ve seen the Bulgarian Split Squat, which primarily target your Quads, check out all of our different Quadriceps Exercises.
Also view our Leg Exercises Page, which links to our Quadriceps Exercises as well as our Calf Exercises, Glute Exercises and Hamstring Exercises.
Finally, if you found this page of interest, check out these related pages:
- Best Leg Exercises
- Weight Training Exercises Main Page
- Muscle Building Workouts and Fat Loss Workouts
- Strength Training Exercises and Fat Burning Exercises