Isolate your Chest Muscles with this Chest Fly Variation, which Focuses on One Arm at a Time
Welcome to our Dumbbell Fly Exercise Instruction Guide!
On this page you’ll learn how to do this chest exercise using the correct technique. Below you’ll find pictures, exercise instructions, and tips on how to get the most out of this and other Weight Training Exercises so you can immediately add to your Weight Training Programs and next Chest Workout.
Have you seen our Best Chest Exercises list yet? See if this chest fly variation made the cut! Also, check out our dumbbell exercises list for each of our weight training exercises that utilizes a dumbbell.
|Exercise Name:||Dumbbell Fly|
|Exercise Type:||Isolation, Push|
|Equipment Required:||Dumbbell, Flat Bench|
Exercise Description and Instruction:
This dumbbell exercise is an isolation chest exercise that works your chest muscles from a different motion than bench press exercise variations, like the Dumbbell Bench Press. You’ll also focus on using one arm at a time as shown (and explained below).
Bench press exercise variations should be the bulk of your chest workouts, but chest flys and Dumbbell Pullover variations are good weight training exercises to sprinkle in.
To Perform This Exercise:
- Lie on a flat bench holding a dumbbell in one hand and the side of the bench with your opposite hand for support. The arm with the dumbbell should be nearly fully extended with your forearm parallel to the floor and your palm facing up.
- Exhale and raise your arm in an arc above the middle of your chest. Picture yourself hugging a wide tree. You should raise the dumbbell until it is at the middle of your chest line and your arm is straight above you.
- Inhale and slowly lower the weight along the same path back to starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions then switch arms and repeat.
- Think of yourself giving a one harmed hug.
- Make sure that your lifting arm remains stationary throughout the exercise. The movement should only occur at the shoulder joint.
- Concentrate on squeezing your chest muscles as you lower and raise the weight.
Other Popular Upper Body Exercises:
Check out some of our other popular Arm Exercises and Variations:
- Close Grip Bench Press
- Bent Over Row
- Dumbbell Bench Press
- Chin Ups and Pull Ups
- Triceps Extension
Now that you’ve seen the dumbbell fly, which isolate your pectorals, check out all of our different Chest Exercises.
Or, check out these other pages of interest:
- Weight Training Exercises
- Chest Exercises Main Page and Best Chest Exercises List
- Muscle Building Workouts
- Fat Loss Workouts