Isolate your Chest Muscles with this Dumbbell Fly Variation done on a Decline Bench
Welcome to our Dumbbell Flyes Exercise Instruction Guide!
On this page you’ll learn how to do this chest exercise using the correct technique. Below you’ll find pictures, exercise instructions, and tips on how to get the most out of this and other Weight Training Exercises so you can immediately add to your Weight Training Programs and next Chest Workout.
Have you seen our Best Chest Exercises list yet? See if this chest fly variation made the cut!
|Dumbbells, Decline Bench
Exercise Description and Instruction:
Dumbbell Flyes are an isolation chest exercise that work your pectoralis major from a different motion than bench press exercise variations, like the Dumbbell Bench Press. Bench press exercise variations should be the bulk of your chest workouts, but chest flys and Dumbbell Pullover variations are good weight training exercises to sprinkle in.
Make sure you view our Chest Exercises page for a complete list of dumbbell fly variations that isolate your chest. Here are some of our most popular:
- Incline Chest Flys
- One Arm Dumbbell Fly
- Flat Bench Dumbbell Flys
- Cable Chest Flys
You’ll benefit from switching up your workout routines and hitting your chest from different angles and movements.
To Perform This Exercise:
- Lie on a decline bench with your arms out to your sides, your elbows pointing down, and your palms facing up. Hold the dumbbells at about shoulder height.
- Exhale and focus on using your chest to raise the dumbbells in a wide arc above the middle of your chest until they are directly above you and facing each other.
- Inhale and slowly lower the weight along the same path back to starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
- Picture yourself hugging a wide tree.
- Your arms should remain stationary throughout the exercise. The movement should only occur at the shoulder joint.
- Concentrate on squeezing your chest muscles as you lower and raise the weight.
- Keep your shoulders and back on the bench at all times throughout the exercise.
Now that you’ve seen this isolation chest exercise check out all of our different Chest Exercises.
- Best Chest Exercises
- Weight Training Exercises Main Page
- Chest Workout List
- “Big Pecs” – A How to Article
- Dumbbell Exercises
- Fat Loss Workouts and Fat Burning Exercises
- Muscle Building Workouts and Strength Training Exercises