This Chest Exercise uses a Dumbbell and Flat Bench to work your Chest Muscles, Lats, Shoulders, and Triceps
Welcome to our Dumbbell Pullover Exercise Instruction Guide!
On this page you’ll learn how to do this upper body exercise using the correct technique. Below you’ll find pictures, exercise instructions, and tips on how to get the most out of this and other Weight Training Exercises so you can immediately add to your Weight Training Programs and next Upper Body Workout.
Have you seen our Best Chest Exercises list yet? See if this chest exercise made the cut! Also, make sure to view our Dumbbell Exercises page for a list of all our weight training exercises that utilize dumbbells.
|Exercise Name:||Dumbbell Pullover|
|Secondary Muscle(s):||Lats, Shoulders, Triceps|
|Exercise Type:||Isolation, Pull|
|Equipment Required:||Dumbbells, Flat Bench|
Exercise Description and Instruction:
This dumbbell exercise is an isolation chest exercise that works your pectoralis major (as well as your lats, shoulders, and triceps) from a different motion than bench press exercise variations, like the Dumbbell Bench Press.
Bench press exercise variations should be the bulk of your chest workouts, but pullover variations like this exercise and the Barbell Pullover should be sprinkled in. Also consider adding a variation of Chest Flys. You’ll benefit from switching up your workout routines and hitting your chest from different angles and movements.
- If you are new to this movement, have a spotter hand you the weight.
- You can perform this exercise using a barbell or an EZ Curl Bar instead of dumbbells if your prefer.
- Concentrate on moving the weight with your chest and lats and not moving the weight by bending at the elbows.
- Keep your back flat against the bench at all times. Your feet should also stay firmly on the ground.
- Do not go beyond a comfortable range of motion.
Other Popular Upper Body Exercises:
Check out some of our other popular Arm Exercises and Variations:
- Close Grip Bench Press
- Bent Over Row
- Dumbbell Bench Press
- Chin Ups and Pull Ups
- Triceps Extension
Now that you’ve seen the Dumbbell Pullover, which primarily targets your pectorals, check out all of our different Chest Exercises.
Or, check out these other pages of interest:
- Weight Training Exercises
- Chest Exercises Main Page and Best Chest Exercises List
- Muscle Building Workouts
- Fat Loss Workouts