All Workout Routines: Muscle Building | Strength Training | Weight Loss | Arm | Bicep | Tricep | Back | Chest | Leg | More!
Dumbbell Upright Row
This Variation of the Upright Row, a Staple Shoulder Exercise, Targets your Trapezius and Deltoid Muscles using a pair of Dumbbells
Welcome to our Dumbbell Upright Row Exercise Instruction Guide!
On this page you’ll learn how to do this shoulders exercise using the correct technique. Below you’ll find pictures, exercise instructions, and tips on how to get the most out of this and other Shoulder Exercises so you can immediately add to your next Shoulder Workout Routine and other Weight Training Routines.
Have you seen our Best Shoulder Exercises page yet? See if this deltoid and trapezius exercise made the list!
|Exercise Name:||Dumbbell Upright Row|
|Exercise Type:||Compound, Pull|
Exercise Description and Instruction:
This shoulder exercise and upright row variation targets your deltoid and trapezius muscles – or “delts” and “traps” using a pair of dumbbells.
The upright row can also be performed with a barbell, on a smith machine, or using a cable pulley. Check out the following variations:
- One Arm Upright Row
- Barbell Upright Row
- Cable Upright Row
- Smith Machine Upright Row
To Perform This Exercise:
- Grasp a pair of dumbbells with an overhand (palms facing towards your body) grip. Your arms should be fully extended with the bar resting against your thighs. This will be your starting position.
- Next, while moving along a path close to your body, exhale and lift the dumbbells to your collar bone. During this raise, concentrate on contracting from your shoulders and traps and allow your elbows to move up and out.
- Pause for a moment, then inhale and slowly lower the weight to the starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
- Keep your elbows higher than your forearms throughout the lift. This will keep the emphasis on your traps and deltoids.
- Remember to keep your back straight and your abs drawn in throughout each repetition. Your feet should remain firmly planted on the floor.
Now that you’ve seen the Dumbbell Upright Row, check out all of our different Shoulder Exercises. Or, view some of our most popular shoulder exercises and other related pages below.
Most Popular Deltoid and Trapezius Exercises:
Check out some of our other popular Shoulder Exercises and Variations:
- Iron Cross Exercise
- Dumbbell Shoulder Press
- Dumbbell Lateral Raise
- Barbell Shrugs and Dumbbell Shrug
- Barbell Upright Row and Cable Upright Row
Final Related Pages
- Best Shoulder Exercises
- Back Exercises and Best Back Exercises
- Weight Training Exercises Main Page
- Muscle Building Workouts and Strength Training Exercises
- Fat Loss Workouts and Fat Burning Exercises
You’ve seen the Shoulder Exercises. Check out our Workout Routines!
Start at our Home Page.