This Leg and Lower Back Exercise Adds Strength and Flexibility while working your Core, Glutes, and Hamstring Muscle Groups
Welcome to our Goodmorning Exercise Instruction Guide!
On this page you’ll learn how to do this Leg and Lower Back Exercise using the correct technique. Below you’ll find pictures, exercise instructions, and tips on how to get the most out of this and other Weight Training Exercises so you can immediately add to your Leg Workouts, Back Workout, and other Weight Training Routines.
Have you checked out our list of the Best Leg Exercises yet? How about ourBest Back Exercises? See if the Goodmorning Exercise made either of the lists!
Exercise Description and Instruction:
The Goodmorning Exercise is a great weight training exercise for your lower back as well as your glutes (gluteus maximus, gluteus medius, and gluteus minimus) and hamstring muscle groups. This Goodmorning variation, which uses a barbell, is the most popular. Aslo check out our Smith Machine variation.
To Perform This Exercise:
- Start with a barbell across your shoulders behind your neck. You should be standing up straight with your abs tensed to support your back and your arms on each side of your head balancing the bar.
- Inhale and lower your torso until it is parallel with the floor by bending at the hips while keeping your legs stationary and your back straight. Make sure your back and knees are as straight as possible.
- Hold this bottom position for a moment then slowly raise yourself back to the starting position by bending at the hips and raising your head.
- Start with the barbell on a squat rack so you can easily get the barbell into the starting position.
- Begin with a very small amount of weight and increase as you feel more comfortable with the lift.
- Keep your back straight throughout the lift and try to bend your knees as little as possible.
- Keep your head up at all times as looking down will get you off balance and also maintain a straight back.
Other Popular Leg Exercises:
Check out some of our other popular Lower Body Exercises. These pages link to all of our variations of the most popular leg exercises:
- Calf Raises
- Front Squat
- Hack Squats
- Split Squats
- Step Ups
Now that you’ve seen Goodmorning, which primarily target your Lower Back, check out all of our different Lower Back Exercises.
Also view our Leg Exercises Page, which links to our Calf Exercises, Glute Exercises, Hamstring Exercises, and Quadriceps Exercises.
Finally, if you found this page of interest, check out these related pages:
- Best Back Exercises and Best Leg Exercises
- Weight Training Exercises Main Page
- Fat Loss Workouts
- Muscle Building Workouts