Machine Bench Press
This Chest Exercise uses a Weight Machine to Work the Chest Muscles as well as Your Triceps and Deltoids
Welcome to our Machine Bench Press Exercise Instruction Guide!
On this page you’ll learn how to do this chest exercise using the correct technique. Below you’ll find pictures, exercise instructions, and tips on how to get the most out of this and other Weight Training Exercises so you can immediately add to your Weight Training Programs and next Chest Workout.
Have you seen our Best Chest Exercises list yet? See if this chest exercise made the cut!
|Machine Bench Press
Exercise Description and Instruction:
This Bench Press variation is a Chest Exercise that targets the pectorals as well as the triceps and deltoids on a weight machine.
While we typically prefer free weight exercises, exercises done on a weight machine can be a good change of pace and are often preferred by beginners. There is also no added risk of working out without a spotter if you are on a machine.
Still, make sure to view our barbell bench press page as this should be a staple in most workout routines.
To Perform This Exercise:
- Adjust the seat of the machine so that the handles are just below shoulder height and choose the appropriate weight.
- Exhale and press the weight forward by fully extending your arms. Squeeze your chest in the contracted position.
- Pause for a moment then inhale and slowly lower your hands back to starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
- Keep your shoulders and lower back against the bench at all times during this exercise.
- Do not lock your elbows when your arms are fully extended.
- Complete each repetition in a slow and controlled manner.
Other Popular Upper Body Exercises:
Check out some of our other popular Arm Exercises and Variations:
- Close Grip Bench Press
- Bent Over Row
- Dumbbell Bench Press
- Chin Ups and Pull Ups
- Triceps Extension
Now that you’ve seen the Machine Bench Press exercise, which primarily targets your pectorals, check out all of our different Chest Exercises.
Or, check out these other pages of interest:
- Weight Training Exercises
- Chest Exercises Main Page and Best Chest Exercises List
- Muscle Building Workouts
- Fat Loss Workouts