Rear Lateral Raises
Add this Upper Back and Shoulders Exercise to your Weight Training Routines
Welcome to our Rear Lateral Raises Exercise Instruction Guide!
On this page you’ll learn how to do this upper back and shoulder exercise using the correct technique. Below you’ll find pictures, exercise instructions, and tips on how to get the most out of this and other Weight Training Exercises so you can immediately add to your next Shoulder Workout Routine, Back Workout, and other Weight Training Routines.
Have you seen our Best Shoulder Exercises page yet? How about our Best Back Exercises? See if this exercise made either list!
|Exercise Name:||Rear Lateral Raises|
|Secondary Muscle(s):||Upper Back, Trapezius|
|Exercise Type:||Isolation, Push|
|Equipment Required:||Cable Pulley|
Exercise Description and Instruction:
This shoulder and upper back exercise is one of our Cable Exercises and is a variation Reverse Flys. It’s also similar to Cable Lateral Raises, but focuses more on your upper back muscles.
To Perform This Exercise:
- To begin, attach a handle to a cable pulley on the lowest setting and bend down in an athletic position grasping the handle in your left hand with your back straight and your knees bent. This is the starting position.
- While maintaining a slight bend in your elbow, your back straight, and your knees bent, exhale and pull the handle out and away from your side in an arcing motion until it is parallel to the floor. As you complete this motion, concentrate on only moving at the shoulder joint and squeeze your shoulder blades.
- Pause for a moment then inhale and slowly lower the weight back to the starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions, then switch to the right arm.
- Keep your body stationary being careful not to raise your torso or swing as you complete each repetition.
- Keep your wrists straight with your palms facing down and maintain a slight bend in the elbows.
- Concentrate on only moving at the shoulder joint and squeezing your shoulder blades together as you do the lift.
Now that you’ve seen Rear Lateral Raises, check out all our upper back exercises as well as our Shoulder Exercises. Or, view some of our most popular back and shoulder exercises and other related pages below.
Most Popular Back and Shoulder Exercises:
Check out some of our other popular Back and Shoulder Exercises and Variations:
- Dumbbell Shoulder Press
- Barbell Shrugs and Dumbbell Shrug
- Barbell Upright Row and Cable Upright Row
- Stiff Leg Deadlift
- Bent Over Row
- Dumbbell Pullover
Final Related Pages
- Best Shoulder Exercises and Best Back Exercises
- Back Exercises Main Page
- Lower Back Exercises
- Lat Exercises
- Upper Back Exercises
- Weight Training Exercises Main Page
- Muscle Building Workouts and Strength Training Exercises
- Fat Loss Workouts and Fat Burning Exercises