Reverse Barbell Lunge
Lunges are one of the Classic Leg Exercises. This is the Reverse Version of the Barbell Lunge
Welcome to our Reverse Barbell Lunge Exercise Instruction Guide!
On this page you’ll learn how to do this version of lunges using the correct technique. Below you’ll find pictures, exercise instructions, and tips on how to get the most out of this and other Leg Exercises so you can immediately add to your Leg Workouts.
Have you checked out our list of the Best Leg Exercises yet? See if this lunges variation made the list.
|Exercise Name:||Reverse Barbell Lunge|
|Secondary Muscle(s):||Calves, Glutes, Hamstrings|
Exercise Description and Instruction:
This Leg Exercise is one of our Lunges Variations and uses a barbell held across your upper back and a reverse motion to work the major muscles of the legs. Also make sure to view the Reverse Dumbbell Lunge.
To Perform This Exercise:
- Start by loading a loaded barbell off of a weight rack and placing it across your upper back with your feet about 8 inches apart and your toes facing forward. You should use a grip slightly wider than your shoulders.
- Lunge backwards two to three feet forward with your first leg and land on your forefoot then your heel. Your abs should be drawn in and your upper body should be straight and perpendicular to the floor.
- Slowly lower your body by flexing the knee and hip of your back leg until the front leg is almost in contact with the floor.
- Return to the standing position by pressing upwards forcibly with your backward leg and extending your hip and knee.
- Repeat the motion with your alternate leg.
- Practice the lunges without any weight to allow yourself to become comfortable with the movements.
- Keep your head facing forward and your back straight throughout the exercise.
Other Popular Leg Exercises:
Check out some of our other popular Lower Body Exercises. These pages link to all of our variations of the most popular leg exercises:
- Calf Raises
- Front Squat
- Hack Squats
- Split Squats
- Step Ups
Now that you’ve seen the Reverse Barbell Lunge, which primarily targets your Quads, check out all of our different Quadriceps Exercises.
Also view our Leg Exercises Page, which links to our Quadriceps Exercises as well as our Calf Exercises, Glute Exercises and Hamstring Exercises.
Finally, if you found this page of interest, check out these related pages:
- Best Leg Exercises
- Weight Training Exercises Main Page
- Compound Exercises
- Leg Workouts
- Fat Loss Workouts
- Muscle Building Workouts