Work your oblique and abdominal muscles with this exercise.
Welcome to our Side Bend Exercise instruction guide!
On this page you’ll learn how to do Side Bend using the correct technique. Below you’ll find pictures, exercise instructions, and tips on how to get the most out of this exercise.
|Exercise Name:||Side Bend|
*This exercise is pictured below using a dumbbell, however you can also do the side bend while holding a barbell in one hand at your side or on a cable pulley by attaching the handle and putting the cable on the lowest setting to the floor.
Exercise Description and Instruction:
This exercise works the obliques, the muscles on the sides of your abs. The obliques and abs are commonly worked together, so you’ll also find a link to the exercise on our Oblique Exercises page.
To Perform this Exercise:
- Stand with your feet shoulder width apart, your knees slightly bent and your abs drawn in.
- Grasp a dumbbell in one hand and standing straight upright bend at the waist as far as possible to one side.
- Slowly return back up to the staring position and switch the dumbbell to your other hand to repeat the exercise.
- Be careful to bend only at your waist and not at the hips or knees.
- This weight training exercise is pictured as a dumbbell exercise, but it can also be performed while holding a barbell in one hand at your side.
Now that you’ve seen the side bend, check out the rest of our abs exercises or skip over to our list of the best ab exercises
Learn more about how to build muscle, how to lose body fat and sculpt your beach body here at Workout Routine Warehouse. Check out all of our sections, which include diet and exercise plans for muscle building, fat loss, and more.