Side Plank Exercise
One of our Favorite Abs Exercises for your Workout Routines
Welcome to our Side Plank Exercise Instruction Guide!
On this page you’ll learn how to do this exercise using the correct technique. Below you’ll find pictures, exercise instructions, and tips on how to ge the most out of this and other abs exercises so you can immediately add to your abdominal workouts, fat loss workouts, and other workout routines.
Have you checked out or list of the 6 Best Ab Exercises yet? See if this abs exercise made the list!
|Exercise Name:||Side Plank Exercise|
|Equipment Required:||Body Weight Only|
Exercise Description and Instruction:
This body weight exercise is a variation of the Plank Exercise and works your obliques and transverse abdominus. During the exercise, you simply hold yourself up off the ground keeping your legs and torso straight. Looks easy, right? Wrong.
To Perform This Exercise:
- Lay on one side of your body with your legs straight and your forearm perpendicular to your body in front of you.
- Drawing your abs in, slowly raise yourself up so you are balanced on your feet and your forearm.
- Hold this position for a predetermined amount of time (30 – 90 seconds) and slowly return back to the starting position.
- Don’t let your waist sag. Keep your torso and legs straight while you hold your weight on your forearm and side of your foot.
- Start with holding the position for a set time, then gradually add to this time in future workout routines. Use your cell phone or a good old fashioned wall clock to keep track of how long you’ve been in the position.
Now that you’ve seen the Side Plank Exercise, check out all of our different Abs Exercises. Or, check out some of our most popular abs exercises below and other related pages.
Additional Abs Exercises and Variations:
Check out some of our other popular Abs Exercises and Variations:
- Swiss Ball Jackknife
- Hip Raises
- Bicycle Crunch Exercise
- Side Plank Exercise
- Oblique Crunches and the Decline Oblique Crunch
- Ab Rollout
Check out these other pages of interest:
- Our Chosen 6 Best Ab Exercises
- Fat Loss Workouts and Fat Burning Exercises
- Tips to Lose Weight
- Healthy Diet Tips
- Weight Loss Myths