Smith Machine Bench Press
This Bench Press Exercise Variation works the Chest Muscles using a Smith Machine
Welcome to our Smith Machine Bench Press Exercise Instruction Guide!
On this page you’ll learn how to do this chest exercise using the correct technique. Below you’ll find pictures, exercise instructions, and tips on how to get the most out of this and other Weight Training Exercises so you can immediately add to your Weight Training Programs and next Chest Workout.
Have you seen our Best Chest Exercises list yet? See if this chest exercise made the cut!
|Exercise Name:||Smith Machine Bench Press|
|Secondary Muscle(s):||Deltoids, Triceps|
|Exercise Type:||Compound, Push|
|Equipment Required:||Smith Machine, Flat Bench|
Exercise Description and Instruction:
The Smith Machine Bench Press is a chest exercise that targets the pectoralis minor, pectoralis major, triceps and deltoids. This upper body exercise is done on a smith machine to ensure proper range of motion and can be beneficial to all, but may be preferred by beginners.
Make sure to view Barbell Bench Press, Decline Bench Press and Incline Bench Press. We typically prefer free weights, and you’ll benefit from switching up your workout routines and hitting your chest from different angles and grips.
To Perform This Exercise:
- Place a flat bench in the middle of the Smith Machine and align the bench so the bar is above the the middle of your chest.
- Grasp the bar with a pronated grip (palms facing forward) with your hands shoulder width apart.
- Unhook the bar from its supports and hold it with your arms locked and fully extended. This will be your starting position.
- Inhale and slowly lower the bar to the middle of your chest.
- Pause for a brief moment, then exhale and press the bar upwards to the starting position by extending your arms and using your chest muscles. Note: Squeeze your chest in the contracted position.
- Once back in the starting position with your arms fully extended, pause for a moment then again slowly lower the weight to your middle chest.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
- Lower the weight in a slow and controlled motion. Do not bounce the weight off your chest.
- Keep your abs drawn in and your shoulders and back flat on the bench throughout this exercise.
Other Popular Upper Body Exercises:
Check out some of our other popular Arm Exercises and Variations:
- Close Grip Bench Press
- Bent Over Row
- Dumbbell Bench Press
- Chin Ups and Pull Ups
- Triceps Extension
Now that you’ve seen the Smith Machine Bench Press, which primarily targets your pectorals, check out all of our different Chest Exercises.
Or, check out these other pages of interest:
- Weight Training Exercises
- Chest Exercises Main Page and Best Chest Exercises List
- Muscle Building Workouts
- Fat Loss Workouts