Smith Machine Goodmorning
This Leg and Lower Back Exercise Adds Strength and Flexibility while working your Core, Glutes, and Hamstring Muscle Groups on a Smith Machine
Welcome to our Smith Machine Goodmorning Exercise Instruction Guide!
On this page you’ll learn how to do this Leg and Lower Back Exercise using the correct technique. Below you’ll find pictures, exercise instructions, and tips on how to get the most out of this and other Weight Training Exercises so you can immediately add to your Leg Workouts, Back Workout, and other Weight Training Routines.
Have you checked out our list of the Best Leg Exercises yet? How about our Best Back Exercises? See if Smith Machine Goodmorning made either of the lists!
|Exercise Name:||Smith Machine Goodmorning|
|Main Muscle:||Lower Back|
|Secondary Muscle(s):||Glutes, Hamstrings|
|Exercise Type:||Isolation, Pull|
|Equipment Required:||Smith Machine|
Exercise Description and Instruction:
The Smith Machine Goodmorning is a great weight training exercise for your lower back as well as your glutes (gluteus maximus, gluteus medius, gluteus minimus), hamstring muscle groups. This goodmorning variation is done on a smith machine. Make sure to view the more popular Barbell Goodmorning.
To Perform This Exercise:
- Choose a height setting that is appropriate. This should be about shoulder height or slightly below.Step under the bar with your arms on each side so that the weight is evenly distributed across your shoulders.
- Lift the bar off of the rack by first pushing with your legs and at the same time straightening your torso.
- Step two to two and a half feet away from the rack and position your legs using a shoulder width medium stance.
- Inhale and lower your torso until it is parallel with the floor by bending at the hips while keeping your legs stationary and your back straight.
- Return to the starting position by exhaling and raising your torso back to the starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
- Use slow and controlled movements with this exercise.
- Start with a very light amount of weight or no weight and add resistance as you grow more comfortable with the lift.
- Keep your head up at all times as looking down will get you off balance and also maintain a straight back.
Other Popular Leg Exercises:
Check out some of our other popular Lower Body Exercises. These pages link to all of our variations of the most popular leg exercises:
- Calf Raises
- Front Squat
- Hack Squats
- Split Squats
- Step Ups
Other Pages of Interest:
Now that you’ve seen Smith Machine Goodmorning, which primarily target your Lower Back, check out all of our different Lower Back Exercises.
Also view our Leg Exercises Page, which links to our Calf Exercises, Glute Exercises, Hamstring Exercises, and Quadriceps Exercises.
Finally, if you found this page of interest, check out these related pages:
- Best Back Exercises and Best Leg Exercises
- Weight Training Exercises Main Page
- Compound Exercises
- Fat Loss Workouts and Fat Burning Exercises
- Muscle Building Workouts and Strength Training Exercises