Smith Machine Squats
This Barbell Squats Variation is done on a Smith Machine to Ensure Proper Range of Motion and Work All of your Major Lower Body Muscles
Welcome to our Smith Machine Squats Exercise Instruction Guide!
On this page you’ll learn how to do this squats variation using the correct technique. Below you’ll find pictures, exercise instructions, and tips on how to get the most out of this and other Leg Exercises so you can immediately add to your Leg Workouts.
Have you checked out our list of the Best Leg Exercises yet? See if this squats variation made the list.
|Smith Machine Squats
|Calves, Glutes, Hamstrings, Lower Back
Exercise Description and Instruction:
Smith Machine Squats are a variation of Barbell Squats and can be a great exercise for beginners that want to ensure proper range of motion and lose body fat or build muscle mass.
To Perform This Exercise:
- Set the height of the barbell to shoulder height and place your feet slightly wider than shoulder width apart with your knees and toes pointed forward.
- Lift the bar out of its rungs with the bar across your shoulders and stand straight up.
- Descend slowly by bending forward at the knees and allowing your hips to bend back as if you are sitting down (squatting). You should descend until your thighs are just past parallel to floor.
- Return to the standing position by extending your knees and hips until yours legs are straight again by pressing upwards and maintaining an equal distribution of weight on your forefoot and heel.
- Once you have returned to the starting position, pause for a moment then and repeat.
- Practice squats without any weight to allow yourself to become comfortable with the movements.
- Keep your head facing forward, your back straight and your feet flat on floor throughout the exercise. You should maintain equal weight distribution on your forefoot and heel during the lift
Other Popular Leg Exercises:
Check out some of our other popular Lower Body Exercises. These pages link to all of our variations of the most popular leg exercises:
- Calf Raises
- Front Squat
- Hack Squats
- Split Squats
- Step Ups
Now that you’ve seen Smith Machine Squats, which primarily targets your Quads, check out all of our different Quadriceps Exercises.
Also view our Leg Exercises Page, which links to our Quadriceps Exercises as well as our Calf Exercises, Glute Exercises and Hamstring Exercises.
Finally, if you found this page of interest, check out these related pages:
- Best Leg Exercises
- Weight Training Exercises Main Page
- Compound Exercises
- Leg Workouts
- Fat Loss Workouts
- Muscle Building Workouts