Smith Machine Upright Row
This Deltoid and Trapezius Exercise and Variation of the Upright Row Targets your Shoulder Muscles on a Smith Machine
Welcome to our Smith Machine Upright Row Exercise Instruction Guide!
On this page you’ll learn how to do this shoulders exercise using the correct technique. Below you’ll find pictures, exercise instructions, and tips on how to get the most out of this and other Shoulder Exercises so you can immediately add to your next Shoulder Workout Routine and other Weight Training Routines.
Have you seen our Best Shoulder Exercises page yet? See if this deltoid and trapezius exercise made the list!
|Smith Machine Upright Row
Exercise Description and Instruction:
This shoulders exercise and upright row variation targets your deltoid and trapezius muscles using a smith machine to ensure proper range of motion.
The uprighr row can also be performed with a barbell, dumbbells, or using a cable pulley. Check out the following variations:
- One Arm Upright Row
- Barbell Upright Row
- Cable Upright Row
- Dumbbell Upright Row
To Perform This Exercise:
- Set up the Smith Machine by loading the weight and locking the bar so that it’s inline with the middle of your thighs.
- Grasp the bar with an overhand (palms facing towards your body) shoulder width grip and unhook the weight. Your arms should be fully extended with the bar resting against your thighs. This will be your starting position.
- Next, while moving along a path close to your body, exhale and lift the bar to your collar bone. During this raise, concentrate on contracting from your shoulders and traps and allow your elbows to move up and out.
- Pause for a moment, then inhale and slowly lower the weight to the starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
- Keep your elbows higher than your forearms throughout the lift. This will keep the emphasis on your traps and deltoids.
- Remember to keep your back straight and your abs drawn in throughout each repetition. Your feet should remain firmly planted on the floor.
Now that you’ve seen the Smith Machine Upright Row, check out all of our different Shoulder Exercises. Or, view some of our most popular shoulder exercises and other related pages below.
Most Popular Deltoid and Trapezius Exercises:
Check out some of our other popular Shoulder Exercises and Variations:
- Iron Cross Exercise
- Dumbbell Shoulder Press
- Dumbbell Lateral Raise
- Barbell Shrugs and Dumbbell Shrug
- Barbell Upright Row and Cable Upright Row
Final Related Pages
- Best Shoulder Exercises
- Back Exercises and Best Back Exercises
- Weight Training Exercises Main Page
- Muscle Building Workouts and Strength Training Exercises
- Fat Loss Workouts and Fat Burning Exercises