This Popular Leg Exercise works all of your Leg Muscles as well as your Hip Flexors
Welcome to our Split Squats Exercise Instruction Guide!
On this page you’ll learn how to do this squats variation using the correct technique. Below you’ll find pictures, exercise instructions, and tips on how to get the most out of this and other Leg Exercises so you can immediately add to your Leg Workouts.
Have you checked out our list of the Best Leg Exercises yet? See if this Lower Body Exercise made the list.
|Exercise Name:||Split Squats|
|Secondary Muscle(s):||Calves, Glutes, Hamstrings, Hip Flexors|
*This exercise is pictured using a dumbbell; however, it can be completed using a barbell, EZ Curl Bar, or weight plate as well.
Exercise Description and Instruction:
Here you’ll learn Split Squats, you can use a barbell, dumbbell, EZ Curl bar or weight plate to add resistance. Concentrate on correct form and pressing up with the targeted leg, the leg in front.
This exercise image is from youtrain.me
To Perform This Exercise:
- Hold dumbbells in both hands at your sides.
- Bend forward at the knee and allowing your hips to bend back as if you are sitting down (squatting). You should descend until your knee is bent at a ninety (90) degree angle and your quadriceps and hamstrings are parallel to the floor.
- Return to the starting position by pressing upwards and exteding your leg while maintaining an equal distribution of weight on your forefoot and heel. Continue looking forward.
- Once you have returned to the starting position and are standing straight up, pause for a moment and repeat.
- Practice the weight training exercise without any weight to allow yourself to become comfortable with the movements.
- Keep your head facing forward, your back straight and your feet flat on the base throughout the exercise. You should maintain equal weight distribution on your forefoot and heel during the lift
Other Popular Leg Exercises:
Check out some of our other popular Lower Body Exercises. These pages link to all of our variations of the most popular leg exercises:
- Calf Raises
- Hack Squats
- Step Ups
Now that you’ve seen the Split Squats, which primarily target your Quads, check out all of our different Quadriceps Exercises.
Also view our Leg Exercises Page, which links to our Quadriceps Exercises as well as our Calf Exercises, Glute Exercises and Hamstring Exercises.
Finally, if you found this page of interest, check out these related pages:
- Best Leg Exercises
- Weight Training Exercises Main Page
- Muscle Building Workouts and Fat Loss Workouts
- Strength Training Exercises and Fat Burning Exercises