Straight Arm Pull Down
Add One of the Best Isolation Lat Exercises to your Weight Training Programs or next Back Workout
Welcome to our Straight Arm Pull Down Exercise Instruction Guide!
On this page you’ll learn how to do this exercise using the correct technique. Below you’ll find pictures, exercise instructions, and tips on how to get the most out of this and other Back Exercises so you can immediately add to your Weight Training Programs or next Back Workout.
Have you seen our Best Back Exercises list yet? See if this Lat Pull Down variation made the list!
|Exercise Name:||Straight Arm Pull Down|
|Secondary Muscle(s):||Chest, Shoulders, Triceps|
|Exercise Type:||Isolation, Pull|
Exercise Description and Instruction:
This version of the Lat Pull Down is one of the best isolation Lat Exercises. Like the Lat Pull Down, you’ll be working you back muscles at a high cable pulley.
This lats exercise is an isolation exercise. You have to use much less weight, but more effectively target your lat muscles.
To Perform This Exercise:
- Grasp a pull down bar with a wide grip so your hands are on the outermost part of the bar.
- Stand upright with your abs drawn in and a slight a slight bend in your knees.
- Exhale and push the bar straight down while maintaining only a slight bend in your elbows and wrists. You should continue to pull the bar down until it touches your thighs.
- Slowly allow the bar to raise back up to starting position and repeat for the prescribed number of repetitions.
- Stand upright throughout the exercise with your back straight and a slight bend in your knees.
- Maintain only a very slight bend in your elbows and wrists throughout the exercise. If you allow your arms to bend at the elbows you will shift the emphasis to your triceps.
- Repeat each exercise in a slow and controlled manner.
Other Weight Training Exercises and Related Sections
Now that you’ve seen the Straight Arm Pull Down exercise, which primarily targets your lat muscles, check out all of our different Lat Exercises.
Or, view our Back Exercises Main Page and link directly to our Lat Exercises, Lower Back Exercises, and Upper Back Exercises.
Final Related Pages
- Best Back Exercises
- Weight Training Exercises Main Page
- Back Workout
- Cable Exercises
- Fat Loss Workouts and Fat Burning Exercises
- Muscle Building Workouts and Strength Training Exercises