Add this Deadlifts Variations and Leg and Lower Back Exercise to Your Leg Workouts, Back Workout, and Other Weight Training Programs
Welcome to our Sumo Deadlift Exercise Instruction Guide!
On this page you’ll learn how to do this version of deadlifts using the correct technique. Below you’ll find pictures, exercise instructions, and tips on how to get the most out of this and other Leg Exercises and Lower Back Exercises so you can immediately add to your Leg Workouts, Back Workout, and other Weight Training Programs.
Have you checked out our list of the Best Leg Exercises yet? How about ourBest Back Exercises? See if the Sumo Deadlift made either list.
|Exercise Name:||Sumo Deadlift|
|Forearms, Glutes, Hip Adductors, Lower Back,
Quadriceps, Traps, Upper Back
|Exercise Type:||Compound, Pull|
Exercise Description and Instruction:
This weight training exercise is a unique deadlifts variation that uses a very wide base with your toes pointing outwards to focus more on your inner thighs and hip adductors.
To Perform This Exercise:
- Begin with a bar loaded on the ground in front of you.
- Stand with a very wide base so that your feet are wider that shoulder width apart and pointed outwards.
- Bend at the hips to grip the bar while keeping your back straight and your arms fully extended and directly below your shoulders. You should be gripping the bar with an overhand grip, mixed grip, or hook grip.
- Exhale and pull the weight upwards off the ground by pressing downwards and extending your legs through the hips and knees.
- As the bar raises to your knees, lean back and drive the hips into the bar and pull your shoulder blades together.
- Return the weight to the ground by inhaling and again bending at the hips to bring the weight back to the floor slowly.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
- This is not an exercise that is recommended for people with lower back problems.
- Do not increase the weight on this exercise until you have mastered the correct form.
- Look forward and keep your chest up throughout the exercise making sure you do not round your back as you move the torso.
- Jerking motions or using too much weight should be avoided and are especially dangerous.
Other Popular Leg Exercises:
Check out some of our other popular Lower Body Exercises. These pages link to all of our variations of the most popular leg exercises:
- Calf Raises
- Front Squat
- Hack Squats
- Split Squats
- Step Ups
Now that you’ve seen the Sumo Deadlift, which primarily targets your Hamstrings, check out all of our different Hamstring Exercises.
Also view our Leg Exercises page, which links directly to our Hamstring Exercises as well as our Calf Exercises, Glute Exercises and Quadriceps Exercises.
Final Related Pages:
- Best Back Exercises and Best Leg Exercises
- Weight Training Exercises Main Page
- Compound Exercises
- Fat Loss Workouts
- Muscle Building Workouts