Incline Chest Fly
Isolate your Chest Muscles with this Dumbbell Fly Variation done on an Incline Bench
Welcome to our Chest Fly Exercise Instruction Guide!
On this page you’ll learn how to do this chest exercise using the correct technique. Below you’ll find pictures, exercise instructions, and tips on how to get the most out of this and other Weight Training Exercises so you can immediately add to your Weight Training Programs and next Chest Workout.
Have you seen our Best Chest Exercises list yet? See if this dumbbell fly variation made the cut! Also, check out our dumbbell exercises list for each of our weight training exercises that utilizes a dumbbell.
|Exercise Name:||Chest Fly|
|Exercise Type:||Isolation, Push|
|Equipment Required:||Dumbbell, Incline Bench|
Exercise Description and Instruction:
This chest exercise is a variation of Dumbbell Flys, done on an incline bench. These weight training exercises work your chest in a different motion than bench press exercise variations, like the Dumbbell Bench Press. Bench press exercise variations should be the bulk of your chest workouts, but Dumbbell Fly variations and Dumbbell Pullover variations are good weight training exercises to sprinkle in.
To Perform This Exercise:
- Lie on an incline bench set to a 45 degree angle with your arms out to your sides, your elbows pointing down, and your palms facing up. Hold the dumbbells at about shoulder height.
- Exhale and focus on using your chest to raise the dumbbells in a wide arc above the middle of your chest until they are directly above you and facing each other.
- Inhale and slowly lower the weight along the same path back to starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
- Picture yourself hugging a wide tree.
- Your arms should remain stationary throughout the exercise. The movement should only occur at the shoulder joint.
- Concentrate on squeezing your chest muscles as you lower and raise the weight.
- Keep your shoulders and back on the bench at all times throughout the exercise.
Other Popular Upper Body Exercises:
Check out some of our other popular Arm Exercises and Variations:
- Close Grip Bench Press
- Bent Over Row
- Dumbbell Bench Press
- Chin Ups and Pull Ups
- Triceps Extension
Now that you’ve seen the Chest Fly, which isolates your chest muscles, check out all of our different Chest Exercises.
Or, check out these other pages of interest:
- Weight Training Exercises
- Chest Exercises Main Page and Best Chest Exercises List
- Muscle Building Workouts
- Fat Loss Workouts