Dumbbell Lateral Raise
Blast your Deltoid and Trapezius Muscles with this Shoulders Exercise
Welcome to our Dumbbell Lateral Raise Exercise Instruction Guide!
On this page you’ll learn how to do this shoulders exercise using the correct technique. Below you’ll find pictures, exercise instructions, and tips on how to get the most out of this and other Shoulder Exercises so you can immediately add to your next Shoulder Workout Routine and other Weight Training Routines.
Have you seen our Best Shoulder Exercises page yet? See if this deltoid and trapezius exercise made the list!
|Exercise Name:||Dumbbell Lateral Raise|
|Exercise Type:||Isolation, Push|
Exercise Description and Instruction:
This shoulder exercise is one of our Dumbbell Exercises and is a variation of lateral raises. You can also perform the lateral raise as a Cable Exercise. View Cable Lateral Raises.
To Perform This Exercise:
- Stand and grasp a pair of dumbbells in each hand at your sides and allow the dumbbells to rest against the sides of your legs at arms length. This will be your starting position.
- While keeping your body stationary, exhale and lift the dumbbells outward to the side and up until your arm is just past parallel to the floor. During the lift, maintain only a slight bend in your elbows and keep your palms pointed down. Your wrists should be firm and straight.
- Once your arms are past parallel to the floor, pause for a moment, then inhale and slowly lower the weight to the starting position.
- Repeat the movement for the desired number of repetitions.
- Keep your body stationary, not allowing your torso to swing as your lift the weight. It may help to bend your knees slightly as you perform the exercise.
- Keep your wrists straight with your palms facing down and maintain a slight bend in the elbows.
- Concentrate on only moving at the shoulder joint to complete each repetition.
Now that you’ve seen the Dumbbell Lateral Raise, check out all of our different Shoulder Exercises. Or, view some of our most popular shoulder exercises and related pages below.
Most Popular Deltoid and Trapezius Exercises:
Check out some of our other popular Shoulder Exercises and Variations:
- Iron Cross Exercise
- Dumbbell Shoulder Press
- Dumbbell Lateral Raise
- Barbell Shrugs and Dumbbell Shrug
- Barbell Upright Row and Cable Upright Row
Final Related Pages
- Best Shoulder Exercises
- Back Exercises and Best Back Exercises
- Weight Training Exercises Main Page
- Muscle Building Workouts and Strength Training Exercises
- Fat Loss Workouts and Fat Burning Exercises